Skip to main content


Cornell’s top priority is the health, safety, and well-being of members of the university community and visitors to our campus. Reporting acts of sexual harassment and violence allows the university to take immediate steps to investigate the incident(s), protect and support those directly affected, and enhance the safety of our community.

If an act of sexual misconduct has been committed against you:

Your well-being is of utmost concern, and we hope you will get the care you need by reaching out to the resources available to you. When you  file a report or complaint, you have several options to consider, including to whom to report what happened (see below).

Consider filing a criminal complaint:

  • ON CAMPUS, call the Cornell Police (24/7).
    • 911 from a campus phone
    • (607) 255-1111 from a cell or non-campus phone
    • Blue Light Phone or campus emergency phone: lift the receiver or press the button
  • OFF CAMPUS, call 911 which will activate a response by the nearest police officers.

Cornell University Police Department (CUPD)

  • CUPD is staffed with officers who have extensive training including sensitivity to those affected, and available resources. They want to hear from you – whether it’s to respond in a crisis, investigate a crime, gather important evidence, or protect your safety.
  • You can talk to the police in an exploratory fashion, without being committed to pressing charges via a criminal complaint. A victim advocate at Cornell can accompany you or help you with the process if you wish.
  • If a crime occurs off-campus, another police department may have jurisdiction, but CUPD is still a resource and may be a good place to start.

Consider filing a complaint with the university

If you have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or other forms of violence, or are aware of sexual misconduct toward someone else, you have a variety of avenues outside of the criminal complaint process. Investigations generally will take place only as a result of your decision to file a formal complaint with the University about what happened to you. Services and support are still available without filing a formal complaint.

If you are aware of an act of sexual misconduct being committed against someone else

We urge you to promptly make a report to one of the options below if you are aware of any misconduct being committed. With sensitivity to your position and concerns, the offices below can provide information and resources to you and those directly affected by the incident(s) and assure appropriate follow-up (such as investigation, adjudication, documentation, education). Faculty and staff members also can learn more about avenues for sharing information and their obligations under Title IX through the Building a Culture of Respect@Cornell program.

For non-confidential concerns about student-to-student sexual misconduct:

For non-confidential concerns about sexual misconduct by faculty, staff, student employees, and non-Cornell community members

Share a concern with the university anonymously

Anyone can share non-emergency experiences, concerns, and information about misconduct and criminal activity online or by calling (866) 293-3077. You will be asked to indicate whether you prefer to identify yourself or remain anonymous. Visit to learn more and access the online report. (Select “Cornell Police Silent Witness” form or click on “Ithaca Campus” and select the appropriate category.) Information submitted will receive a response Monday through Friday during business hours.

Share a concern about Cornell’s handling of sexual assault cases


If you’re not sure what you want to do and would like confidential advice:

Contact one of the following offices for reporting advice.